Strengthen Industrial Cybersecurity Without Compromising Production
While companies are tapping into the opportunities that the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) has to offer, digitalisation has become a key initiative for industries. Digitalisation has allowed the industrial control system (ICS) landscape to develop quickly in recent years.
Originally, ICS networks were physically isolated and almost immune to cyber attacks. However, recently, there has been a rise in the sophistication of cyber attacks, which has prompted everyone from IT to OT personnel to produce solutions that enhance industrial cybersecurity. Thus, understanding industrial cybersecurity requirements will help companies mitigate cybersecurity risks. Read on to learn more.
Industrial Cybersecurity Myths
There are some myths about industrial cybersecurity that may put your facilities and businesses at risk.
Learn how to debunk the myths and build defense-in-depth security for your industrial networks to ensure continuous operations and the safety of personnel.
|No. 1 Priority||Confidentiality||Availability|
|Focus||Data integrity is key||Control processes cannot tolerate downtime|
|Protection Target||Windows, computers, servers||Industrial legacy devices, barcode readers|
|Environmental Conditions||Air conditioned||Extreme temperatures, vibrations and shocks|
Checklist for Your Industrial Cybersecurity
- Identify And Control Who Can Log In The Devices
- Increase Password Complexity To Enhance Access Control
- Verify Authorized Devices Before The Devices Gain Access To The Network And Communicate With Other Devices
- Encrypt Confidential Serial Interfaced Data To Ensure Data Integrity
- Encrypt Configuration Data To Increase Confidentiality
- Select Device Vendors That Respond Quickly To Reported Vulnerabilities And Fix Them
- Segment Large-Scale Networks Into Smaller Networks To Avoid Networking Issues Interrupting Operations Or Bringing The Entire Network To A Halt
- Filter Out Unauthorised Packets And Block Unauthorized Access To Enhance Access Control
- Create A Secure Tunnel For Encrypted Data Transmission To Ensure Data Integrity
- Deploy Industrial Firewalls, VLAN Or ACL, Which Are The Most Feasible And Cost-Effective Options For Industrial Control Systems
- Create Security Policies That Meet Your Network Requirements
- Ensure All Network Devices Are Configured To The Same Security Level
- Continuously Scan The Security Status Of Devices To Ensure The Whole Network Is Secure
- Regularly Monitor The Network To See If Any New Devices Were Added
- Save All Event Logs For Reference In The Event Of A Security Breach
- Compare The Network Configurations Before And After Incidents To Find The Root Cause Of The Problem